[Harp-L] overblows & setup

From: Garry Hodgson <garry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

George Brooks <gbrooks1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you are at all serious about learning to use overblows in music, buy
> a custom harmonica set up for that purpose by someone who really knows
> what he is doing.
> I tried teaching myself to overblow on Golden Melodies that I regapped
> myself.  But the sounds I made were pitiful.

that's another reason that learning OB's got pushed down the list
of things to work on.  i certainly don't have the money to buy
custom harps right now.

George is correct that a custom or well setup harp helps with OB's but it is not entirely necessary. I played out of the box Golden Melodys (as did some guy named Howard) for the first few years of playing OB's. I have numerous pre-war MB's that I can overblow hole 6 no problem.

my take on OB's -yet again
attn: Mr. Yerxa-this is by no means SCIENTIFIC!

technique vs. setup (also depends on the register high/low of the harp!)

Hole 6 90%/10%
Hole 5 70/30
Hole 4 80/20
Hole 2 60/40